Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Prayer (And Hitler Comparison) Is The Last Refuge Of A Scoundrel

Yesterday, I spent a good hour and a half listening, as is often my wont, to Crazy Christian radio, this time in the person of Brannon Howse, host of "Worldview Matters." Said program is a show dedicated, it seems, to promoting a "biblical worldview" of all matters, as somehow magically divined by Mister Howse.

Yikes.

What first caught my attention was Howse's laughable, biblically-inspired "list" of parallels between Hitler's Germany and Obama's America. Kinda funny how the insane Nazi comparisons are brought out by wackos on both the far left and far right, depending upon just whom happens to be President at any given moment. Reagan? Nazi comparisons. G.H.W. Bush? The same. And Clinton... and G.W. Bush... and now Obama. The mind fairly boggles at the unoriginality of these idiots.

But that was, really, just your garden-variety wingnuttery; what really gave me pause was a listener phone call that Howse took. The gist of the call was the caller's literal belief that the Second Amendment authorizes citizens, should they see that the government is "doing wrong," to use firearms to shoot government officials.

Let me be crystal-clear: I AM NOT EXAGGERATING, NOR AM I MAKING THIS UP! If anything, I am using far more mild and rational language than the caller used.

Seriously, did someone just say that the Second Amendment tells you to kill the President, should you disagree with him or her?

I sat, mouth agape, speechless.

And what did Brannon Howse say to dissuade the caller from her psychotic belief? Not a damn thing. In fact, he said that it was, verbatim, "a good call."

This is modern Christianity? Jesus must currently be weeping tears of blood.

4 comments:

brando said...

A full-blown Liberal who is lamenting a Hitler metaphor? Um. You've forsaken that option long ago. I denounce it, but you can't.

If you're going to spend the better part of eight years calling the President a fascist, don't get all up in arms because someone turns your own symbology against you.

Oh sweet irony.

Let me guess what's next. You're going to pretend to be upset when someone implies they're going to kill the President? You've forsaken that option.

How about primate refrences? Bzzzzt. Wrongo.

Apparently dissent is no longer the highest form of patriotism.

It was unwise of you to throw away your moral high ground. I've retained mine, and I'm glad about it.

Fatherhead said...

The problem with your reasoning, of course, is that, if I am to be held to account not merely for what I say but also for the utterances of every wacko lefty, then you are equally responsible for those of every right-of-center wingnut.

On the other hand, we could simply agree to debate each others' arguments upon their merits, in and of themselves. We probably wouldn't often come to mutual agreement, but at least the exchanges could be civil and reasoned.

I doubt that you're interested in such debate, though.

brando said...

You're a Liberal.

I'm not a Conservative.

Looks like you're wrong again.

Fatherhead said...

Ah, yes, you now trot out the little delusion that you somehow exist in a vacuum, that you float, godlike, above all of us mere mortals, that your ideology does not fit anywhere in the vast spectrum of political thought.

Quite predictable. Quite sad.

Look, young man, your anger and your psuedo-narcissism are obviously borne of a deep-seeded insecurity. I've left you alone these last many months because I don't feel that picking on the mentally ill is a fun time.

But, please, get some help in dealing with the things that haunt you, before you hurt someone who is close to you. Seriously.